As my first year at University of Nebraska came to a close I thought back on the last nine and half months I spent in my dorm room, wandering around Lincoln, Nebraska and growing in such ways I never thought were possible. I can honestly say coming to this school may have and will be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I can’t even begin to explain all the wonderful people I have met and most importantly, the lessons I have learned.
1. Surround yourself with people who push you out of your comfort zone.
2. The world does not revolve around you, and if you think it does, you are sadly mistaken.
3. Cooking Ramen Noodles out of a coffee pot is not cooking, it’s an art.
4. Nap. Every chance you get. Happens to be during class? So be it.
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
6. Always say yes! You never know what you might miss.
7. Just let the past be exactly what it is, the past.
8. Trust your parents and friends advice. They are most likely right, whether you want to believe it or not.
9. If you get the chance to dance for 12 hours straight, DO IT. Your legs might not thank you, but it’s worth the experience.
10. Caffeine is really the only boyfriend you need.
11. Embrace your mistakes. When you screw up and people dwell on it, maybe reconsider having those people in your life.
12. Be kind to yourself. We need to stop being our own worst enemies.
13. Friendships can blossom with the most unexpected people, and may end up being the most rewarding.
14. If someone only wants a relationship after 1 AM, they are no friend of mine.
15. Sometimes it’s okay to skip your early class to go get coffee and read instead.
16. Always save a biddie in need of help. Day, night, early morning, or even on a party bus in the middle of a county highway.
17. You may not know where you are going in life or what you want to do, but going with the flow will eventually get you to where you need to be.
18. Rainy days can easily be turned into happy days by wearing a raincoat with cute whales all over it.
19. Balance is key.
20. If your beliefs have shifted from what you grew up on, take the road less traveled.
21. When you want someone in your life, you will make it a priority for them to be. And (hopefully) vice-versa.
22. “Always see the glass as half full – and if it looks empty, it probably just needs to be topped off with wine.”
23. Pursue someone if you really feel that spark. Heartbreak is brief, but regret is eternal.
24. Accidentally breaking windows isn’t cool, and never will be.
25. Pour your heart so deeply into everything you do, you wouldn’t want it any other way.